Last night Pinterest started sending emails to alert a user when someone who FOLLOWS them on Twitter, joined Pinterest.
Pinterest, like Twitter, use a asynchronous follow model. I can follow someone on either network, and they don’t have to follow me back. If you have a public Twitter account, anyone in the world can follow you, but Pinterest is defining that relationship to indicate that those who follow you on Twitter are your “friends”.
On one level, I think this is useful. It is nice to know when someone who took the time to follow you on Twitter joins Pinterest, but Pinterest defining this as a “friend”, may be overreaching.
Additionally, for Twitter accounts that have a large number of followers it can be problematic with a large number of email alerts.
After I posted about this change on Twitter last night, a social media manager from a large news/media organization tweeted to me that they certainly noticed the change with their Twitter created Pinterest account and over one million followers on Twitter.
While Pinterest offers a way to turn off these emails in the control panel, this media organization had to disconnect their Twitter account from Pinterest to make the emails stop. They turned off all the notification options, but the emails kept coming. This is likely an error on the Pinterest side of things that they will hopefully be able to resolve quickly.
- Josh Davis on Alexis Madrigal’s “Dark Social” premise is flawed.
- Josh Schwartz on Alexis Madrigal’s “Dark Social” premise is flawed.
- Josh Davis on Facebook makes unannouced change that is significantly affecting the reach of your page.
- Jon Loomer on Facebook makes unannouced change that is significantly affecting the reach of your page.
- Josh Davis on Simple, but extremely useful tool to check social shares from your site and the competition.
- Protect yourself from the newest hacking of Pinterest accounts. Update 7/19: The article below is still relevant, and you should check ... (5,346)
- Pinterest is quietly generating revenue by modifying user submitted pins. Additional Update (2/15): Pinterest adds disclosure about how they (might) make ... (3,134)
- Pinterest hacked. Hundreds of thousands of users are unknowing posting spam pins. I have two new blog posts with details of the ... (2,640)
- Search Secrets: How a prominent SEO company is covertly purchasing backlinks for Dun & Bradstreet Credibility Corporation October 9th, 2012 Update: Someone emailed me a link today ... (1,771)
- The guy who followed over 1,000,000 people on Pinterest in the past 24 hours. Pinterest's popularity might be starting to draw the interest of ... (1,685)