ICANN released the full list of new domain name extention applications today. While some things have changed since the last round of domain name extentions (APP is now most requested), many of the most popular extensions could have been guessed at before the Interent even existed.
Here is my irreverent look at the most popular new extensions for every letter in the alphabet.
APP (13 Requests)
When every business has an app, and no one is actually using them, we will still be able to find them. The most requested domain extension starts us out.
Books are not dead, but somehow I doubt these groups are thinking of paper.
Until the apocalypse, the cloud isn’t going away. Ok, even then there might be a different type of cloud.
It isn’t just Apple telling us that design matters. This term won the ICANN cage match vs DATA.
These groups actually care about the environment or at least cashing in on it.
FASHION & FREE (4)
How happy was I to see that the word FREE still has some value. Reference: @free on Twitter.
I felt I might be out of touch with hipster terminology, but this is actually an abbreviation for a German term meaning “a company with limited liability”. Thanks Wikipedia.
German. Not sure on his hipster credentials or business ownership.
Trying to figure out if the intended use will be a “home” page or if it is for “home” decor. Thinking the former, but didn’t Google buy our home page (read: souls) from Microsoft?
You should likely register .ink right now. Don’t act like you don’t know anyone that won’t be confused.
JEWELRY & JUEGOS (2)
Juegos means games. I am sad to say I had to Google this one too.
We aren’t having as many of them, but just enough that two groups applied for this extension.
If you ever started a business you read a whole book that could have been summarized in three words:
Form an LLC
MOVIE & MUSIC (8)
How appropriate that we have a tie. Entertainment isn’t going anywhere, and I am getting tired of movies needing to use 40 character domain names to host their sites.
Another supposed dying industry that is still important to our lives. This is true even if the majority of our news now involves cute cats and celebrity breakups.
I am not judging. I follow @Gawker on Twitter.
You are online right now. Did I guess that right?
PIZZA, PLAY & POKER (4)
Sounds like a good night to me.
QPON, QTEL, QUEBEC, QUEST & QVC (1)
Scrabble players should have been consulted. They know all the best “Q” words.
RADIO, REALESTATE & RESTAURANT (4)
Listening to the radio (sorry podcast), sitting in a house (these days more like an apartment) & eating delivered food. They got the last part right.
Couldn’t figure this one out. Surely all nine of them meant SAIL. Oh yeah, the last quarter of the year, when I can’t stop buying things.
I predict you are using some piece of technology to view this page. Sorry. Is getting near the end, forgive my lack of intelligent comments.
UCONNECT, ULTRABOOK, UMMAH, UNICOM, UNICORN, UNIVERSITY, UNO, UOL & UPS (1)
Beating out VIDEO, and I know you will be shocked, VOTE. Because everyone likes to think they are special.
XBOX, XEROX, XFINITY, XIHUAN, XIN, XPERIA & XYZ (1)
A tie only because .XXX was already taken.
Hope for humanity. A semi-physical activity has three suiters.
ZAPPOS, ZARA, ZERO, ZIP, ZIPPO, ZONE, ZUERICH & ZULU (1)
All images credited to me. Yes, me. I paid $1 for the right to use that Unicorn image! One of the proudest moments of my life.
What domain names are you surprised to not see show up? Add your insightful or snarky comments below.
For those looking for something more serious. Here is the full list of domain name extensions applied for:
- Josh Davis on Alexis Madrigal’s “Dark Social” premise is flawed.
- Josh Schwartz on Alexis Madrigal’s “Dark Social” premise is flawed.
- Josh Davis on Facebook makes unannouced change that is significantly affecting the reach of your page.
- Jon Loomer on Facebook makes unannouced change that is significantly affecting the reach of your page.
- Josh Davis on Simple, but extremely useful tool to check social shares from your site and the competition.
- Protect yourself from the newest hacking of Pinterest accounts. Update 7/19: The article below is still relevant, and you should check ... (10,179)
- Pinterest is quietly generating revenue by modifying user submitted pins. Additional Update (2/15): Pinterest adds disclosure about how they (might) make ... (4,585)
- Pinterest hacked. Hundreds of thousands of users are unknowing posting spam pins. I have two new blog posts with details of the ... (4,216)
- The guy who followed over 1,000,000 people on Pinterest in the past 24 hours. Pinterest's popularity might be starting to draw the interest of ... (3,085)
- 12 Things You Didn’t Know About someecards These popular ecards have become one of the staples of ... (2,887)