After months of changing very little to the online interface, Twitter has recently made a number of changes: color differences to emphasize #hashtags and @messages, fewer buttons, and email notification of favories. The change I just noticed is perhaps the most unique I have seen. While looking at who one Twitter account was following (this [...]
While Twitter has given more prominence to Favorite tweets, in the same week they have made it harder to add people to lists. Previously, Twitter had a dedicated button that with one click would show you most of your lists. Now they have eliminated that button and grouped lists under a shadow profile button that [...]
In the last day I have read a couple of tweets that express the idea that marking a tweet as a favorite is how introverts “retweeted”. The idea is that some people don’t feel like broadcasting an interesting tweet to their timeline, but by favoriting it, they are taking an action and have it saved. [...]
By Josh Davis
Some might argue that it is better to take a complete break from social media while on vacation. I am not one of them. Social media is important enough to me to at least spend a little of my downtime keeping up on what is going on. I don’t user Twitter the same on vacation as I do on a regular day, so I found a couple services that were helpful on my recent trip to New Orleans.
Summify’s name is very accurate. They provide a summary of the most important stories that are shared by those you follow on Twitter. They have an online interface, but I largely just read the daily email they send. On vacation it is great way to see what stories resonated when you only have a little bit of time. Summify does a remarkably good job pointing out the four or five articles or tweets that most reflect my interests. I rarely find something included in this summary that isn’t interesting or meaningful.
For a more comprehensive look at what was shared in the previous day, I use Paper.li. I wrote a blog post on this service several months back, and I continue to find it useful. I particularly like the ability to quickly scroll through all the images that were shared in the last day.
Beyond just keeping up, Twitter and related service actually improved my vacation.
- Josh Davis on Alexis Madrigal’s “Dark Social” premise is flawed.
- Josh Schwartz on Alexis Madrigal’s “Dark Social” premise is flawed.
- Josh Davis on Facebook makes unannouced change that is significantly affecting the reach of your page.
- Jon Loomer on Facebook makes unannouced change that is significantly affecting the reach of your page.
- Josh Davis on Simple, but extremely useful tool to check social shares from your site and the competition.
- Protect yourself from the newest hacking of Pinterest accounts. Update 7/19: The article below is still relevant, and you should check ... (10,460)
- Pinterest is quietly generating revenue by modifying user submitted pins. Additional Update (2/15): Pinterest adds disclosure about how they (might) make ... (4,726)
- Pinterest hacked. Hundreds of thousands of users are unknowing posting spam pins. I have two new blog posts with details of the ... (4,284)
- The guy who followed over 1,000,000 people on Pinterest in the past 24 hours. Pinterest's popularity might be starting to draw the interest of ... (3,259)
- 12 Things You Didn’t Know About someecards These popular ecards have become one of the staples of ... (3,186)